Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I've been robbed!

Nothing too exciting. Someone took my flip flops out of the side pocket of my backpack somewhere between Honduras and Nicaragua. They were pretty scuzzy, so I'm not too heart broken.

Monday I bussed from Chinandega to the tiny fishing village of Los Zorros, where I stayed at a place called Rancho Tranquilo. An American woman named Tina owns the place, and I met her in Leon a couple of weeks ago. The whole time I was in Honduras, I just wanted to get back to Nicaragua and for some reason I felt a craving to go to the beach. So... I did! When I got there, Tina showed me my room, commenting that ''the holes in the (dirt) floor aren't from snakes, just crabs.'' I more or less never wanted to leave. I swam, then had lunch with Tina, then went on a walk down the beach, then got lost on my walk and ended up in the wrong fishing village, then made it back in time to read in a hammock. There were 2 girls from Basque staying there, along with one of Tina's friends and her daughter, so we had dinner together. Then Tina's adopted Nica father came over and entertained us with stories of his time spent in Bakersfield, California. Apparently he was quite the ladies' man, to the point that he got an AIDS test every 6 months, just to be safe.

I woke up this morning to the sound of waves crashing and went and played in the water by myself until breakfast. After breakfast, I caught a ride to Leon with the Basque girls, who had rented a truck, and from Leon shuttled to Managua (for the record, Managua is hands down my least favorite city ever), then from Managua bussed back to Granada. So here I am, about to spend my last night in Granada before I go to Managua with 2 other girls tomorrow so we can spend the night there and fly out on Friday.

So that's it. My time in Nicaragua is coming to an end. The only word to describe every piece of clothing I have with me is "rank", so I think it's time to head home. I don't have any deep final thoughts. I'm still too busy processing everything that's happened over the last 2 months. It's definitely been a rocky road at times, but I've been so blessed and so protected through it all.

End blog. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to remember the scent of Nica, you may want to keep a piece of clothing unwashed, or not. It sure has a distictive scent, more noticable on it's absence.
Amy's Mom