Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's like reaching for an apple and getting an orange.

Mad shout out to Katie Anderson for perfectly describing my 2 months here: It's like reaching for an apple and getting an orange. It took me a really long time (well, 3 weeks at least) to understand that Nicaragua was not Argentina. But now I've adjusted to the orange, and I like it in a different way.

That said, Honduras just isn't doing it for me, so I'm running back into the safe arms of Nicaragua tomorrow. I decided that I don't have enough time to give Honduras its fair chance. Even though I've spent almost 3 days in the country now, I don't feel like I know Honduras at all because this town is so not real. So I'm glad I got to see some ruins, and now I will go back to Nicaragua and if anyone asks, I've never been to Honduras. Hey, there's no stamp on my passport, so who's going to prove any different?

Last night I went to dinner with the 3 girls who toured the ruins with me. Afterwards, Nele (the Belgian) and I sat in our hostel and talked to Lucho, the travelling artisan from Guatemala, for awhile. Nele and I are making dinner for him and 2 other travellers tonight. Well, Nele's really making dinner. I just cut some tomatoes and ate pieces of cheese when no one was looking. Since I've been travelling I haven't gotten to use my Spanish much, so it was nice having a long conversation in Spanish last night and hopefully tonight will be more of the same.

Today, Nele and I went on a 3 hour horseback ride of the country along with a couple from Spain. For the record, I have hated horses since I was 8. I used to go to extreme lengths to get out of horseback at camp (scooping poop in the barn, waking up at 5:30 in the morning to play polocrosse rather than going to regular horseback activities), but I thought maybe my feelings toward horses would have changed as I've grown. False. They still suck. But I wanted to see more of the countryside, and I'm all hiked out. Actually, this wasn't too bad as far as horseback experiences go. My horse and I reached an understanding that she could do whatever she wanted so long as it didn't involve knocking me into a tree or attacking another horse. We made a good team in that sense.

Tomorrow I will wake up at 5 so I can start waiting at the town soccer field for the bus to come and take me to San Pedro Sula, where I will probably take a bus to Tegucigalpa, then on to northern Nicaragua. My plan is to get to the Pacific coast by Monday evening and spend all day Tuesday enjoying the beach and the locals. I have high hopes that all will go according to plan. Unless Honduran authorities find my drug stash this time...

No comments: