Sunday, June 22, 2008

Weekend Update

Highlights of the weekend include:
  1. Attending what had to be the most happening high school dance ever at a discoteca by the lake. We weren´t the oldest people in the room, but we were definitely in the older crowd. Add to that the fact that we were the only foreigners there, and you have yourself the recipe for one amazingly sketchy night. However, security at the disco was surprisingly good. Yet another difference between Nicaragua and Argentina.
  2. Having my first cup of brewed, not instant, coffee in 3 weeks. Make that 2 cups, since one girl didn´t want hers at breakfast Saturday morning. I´ll for sure have to go back to the Garden Cafe, as much for the coffee as for the books, hammocks and amazing granola and yogurt.
  3. Kayaking on Lake Nicaragua (aka Cocibolca, don´t kill me if I spelled that wrong) this morning. Other than dancing Friday night, that was the first time I´ve sweated because of the work I´m doing and not because it´s just so hot. I love endorphins, I love kayaking and I love lakes.
  4. Meeting 2 new girls who are here working through mid August. One of them goes to UT and was in Córdoba for a month last summer, so we got to reminisce a little about the place we both miss so much.
  5. Sitting outside with my "cousins" until past midnight on Friday, getting to hear about things like their jobs, where they want to travel, and the earthquake that happened here a few years back. Apparently, after the tremors hit a lot of Granadinos gathered to sleep in an outside park near my house out of fear their houses might collapse in the night.

Nicaragua has a fair number of volcanoes, and our kayak guide this morning told us that 5 of them are connected, including the (dormant) Mombacho towering over Granada. Which means that, if things go wrong enough, 5 volcanoes could erupt almost simultaneously in Nicaragua. It probably won´t happen, but it´s nice to think about while I lie in bed at night. The volcano in Masaya, about an hour from Granada, has been sputtering recently. Let´s keep our fingers crossed.

No comments: