Friday, June 27, 2008

Illness is Inconvenient

2 points to me for the alliteration in that title.

My body decided that now would be the perfect time to shut down. It started with an itchy throat on Monday, moving on to congestion and itchiness on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday were a lot of sniffles and sneezing. Today was all of the above + my stomach feels like it´s eating itself. The obvious question is: was it something I ate? The unfortunate answer is: it could be any number of somethings I ate. Discretion isn´t really my forté when it comes to food. My host family swears I´m sick because I like to walk around the house barefoot, which means my feet get cold and thus I come down with allergies and a stomach virus. It´s more likely that I´m having a combined reaction to something in the air, germs I picked up from the kids and food I bought off the street. But I will not let myself miss out on going to the lake for the weekend, so I´m willing my aching body to forget about how gross it feels.

We´ve been without water for almost 2 days now, which means I havent had the chance to shower recently. I don´t really care, though. It´s been raining pretty steadily, so I haven´t gotten as sweaty as usual. Plus no one else has showered, either, so I just pretend it´s them and not me who smells like dirty socks.

I´ve been thinking a lot recently about working at the daycare, and why I hate it so much sometimes, and why I´m growing to love it. But I don´t really feel like writing about all that right now, so I´ll save it for next week. Cliffhanger!

No comments: