Friday, June 26, 2009

Initiate countdown

1 week from today, I will be back in Texas. This is my last weekend in Honduras, so I'll probably throw a raging farewell party tomorrow night. There's a good chance I will be the only one in attendance.

The powers that be must have decided that I had my fill of excitement Tuesday night with the bat incident, because the last 3 days have been more boring that I ever thought possible. I've been asked to create Excel spreadsheets to organize all the patient data from the extended care program. There are over 400 patients. Multiply that by the time I spend trying to figure out how to spell their names and add the time I waste decoding the doctor's scribble, and my work is cut out for me. At this point I'm about halfway through and I'm hoping I finish before I leave or else this may never really get done. I will say, though, that I have never looked forward to my lunch break so much. Like I told my dad, nothing makes me want to flee the country faster than 7 hours in front of Excel. 

Besides that, I need to write 2 articles for the foundation, finish an informational sheet on scabies (delicious...), work with the doctor on researching medications online, take pictures of all the staff, finish teaching 3 staff members how to email and attend an all-staff meeting all day Tuesday. No big deal, I have 3 1/2 days left of work. 

By far my favorite part of this week was Wednesday, when I went with Elmer and his family to the soccer field by their house. While Elmer played a pick up game of soccer, I walked/ran the perimeter with his wife and the 14 year old girl who helps around their house (and is also, I should point out, 3 months pregnant). It was really a perfect Honduras moment: soccer, palm trees, a rainbow, little kids drinking water out of plastic bags, a man in a mesh shirt offering to steal me away and make me his bride, and a girl on a bicycle hitting me up for 5 pesos. I went back today and ran for 40 minutes by myself, which also felt amazing. 

On a different note, the Honduran president Mel decided to get rid of his head general on Wednesday and was pushing for a referendum called "la cuarta una" which would give him the right to run for office again (Chavez, anyone?). Fortunately, congress blocked that move but the country is still on edge especially since he's refusing to reinstate any of the military leaders who recently resigned or were fired. Iran is in a state of extreme "unrest", the USA is shipping weapons to Somalia, China is pushing to replace the US dollar as the world's reserve currency and they've identified the pilot's body from the Air France plane that went down last month. Still, What's the top news story on every major network? Michael Jackson's autopsy. 

No comments: